Gardening is one of the most fulfilling experiences. However, some tasks like carrying heavy items and bending when working may be tiring. That’s why it helps to have helpful tools such as a garden cart. These tools make gardening easy by helping you carry weighty items.
Some of them even have accessories that allow you to sit on them when working, or use them to carry groceries and laundry within the house. There are many types of yard carts in the market, making it difficult to choose the right one. We have reviewed some of the best garden carts and included a guide on choosing the right one based on your needs.
- Best Overall – Gorilla Carts GOR866D –
- Best Folding Wagon – Mac Sports Collapsible Utility Wagon –
- Best Budget – Suncast 2-Wheel Utility Cart –
- Best Garden Carts Review
- 1. Best Overall – Gorilla Carts GOR866D
- 2. Best Folding Wagon – Mac Sports Collapsible Utility Wagon
- 3. Best Budget – Suncast 2-Wheel Utility Cart
- 4. WORX WG050 Aerocart – B00KCIZ5SM
- 5. Polar Trailer 8376 – B001RPD4UU
- 6. Gorilla Carts GOR1400-COM
- 7. AMES 2463875 Easy Roller
- 8. AMES Lawn Buddy Cart
- 9. Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart
- 10. Agri-Fab 45-0101 Garden Dump Cart
- Types Of Garden Carts
- What To Look For In A Garden Wagon
Best Overall – Gorilla Carts GOR866D –
It’s the best for an average gardener since it has a 1200 pounds weight capacity, pneumatic wheels,and it’s towable. The poly build makes it durable, light, and affordable.
Best Folding Wagon – Mac Sports Collapsible Utility Wagon –
It features a fabric and metal frame which allows it to carry more items, and fold easily for storage. It also has accessories such as a cup holder for beverages.
Best Budget – Suncast 2-Wheel Utility Cart –
It’s small and strong enough for regular gardening tasks. It offers the best value for money since it carries the heaviest goods in its price range without being easily damaged.
Best Garden Carts Review
1. Best Overall – Gorilla Carts GOR866D
This Gorilla cart has everything you would look for in a heavy-duty garden cart. It has one of the highest weight capacity (1200 pounds), and it is four-wheeled. The 13-inch pneumatic wheels do all the hard work for you, and they are built for all types of terrain.
It also features a high-quality poly build that doesn’t crack easily, and it’s weather-resistant. It also features a steel frame for durability and strength. And that’s not all, once you get your load to the destination, it has a quick-release button that makes it easy to offload. You can choose to pull it or attach it to an ATV or tractor if it’s a long distance.
There are two sizes you can choose from, the 40 inches by 25 inches with 13-inch wheels, or the 40 inches by 32 inch with 50-inch wheels. The manufacturer also provides a 1-year warranty.
Several users confirm that this garden wagon was effective in carrying firewood, soil, manure, fertilizer, and many other farm items on all terrains. Some had some trouble with assembling it. Others complained that the customer service was not very helpful.
- The four wheels make it easy to carry heavy loads.
- It also has a tremendous weight capacity.
- The quick-release cart is safe to offload, even for physically limited people.
- The handle is also padded, making it favorable to pull.
- It lacks breaks, which makes it challenging to pull heavy loads downhill.
- The assembly process is quite challenging.
- The customer service could also be improved.
This is the ultimate garden cart for people who carry heavy loads daily. Since you can attach it to an ATV and a lawn cart, some farmers even use it on 1-acre farms, and even larger.
2. Best Folding Wagon – Mac Sports Collapsible Utility Wagon
If you’re looking for a foldable yard cart, this Mac Sports model suits you. It has a capacity of 150 pounds. When you’re not using it, you can fold it to an 8-inch size that’s easy to store. It also weighs 22.5 pounds and has four wheels for easy maneuverability.
When unfolded, it’s 35.5 inches long, 20.1 inches wide and 22.5 inches tall. The height of the handle can also be adjusted to accommodate people of different sizes. The tub is made of high-quality, weather-resistant fabric. It also has an additional cup holder where you can place your beverages as you carry out your activities.
Most of the users confirm that it’s the best utility wagon for lightweight gardening, sports, and indoor activities. It’s well designed, functional, easy to use, durable, and affordable.
- It’s foldable and light, making it easy to store and carry around.
- The adjustable handle is also convenient for people of all ages.
- It’s easy to use; you also don’t need to assemble it.
- The four wheels provide a lot of stability and make it easy to push more substantial loads.
- The 150 pounds may be limited for some gardening tasks.
Even though the 150 pounds may sound limited, it’s still handy. It’s also applicable in the house, and for outdoor activities such as golfing, going to the beach, and camping. Remember that kids can use it to carry items, but you shouldn’t use it to carry them.
3. Best Budget – Suncast 2-Wheel Utility Cart
This is one of the smallest utility wagons in this list, but it still works great. It has a 15.5 gallons bowl, but users have confirmed carrying up to 100 pounds with it. It is two-wheeled, and it features a telescoping handle that makes it favorable for people of different heights.
We love the fact that it’s made of high-quality resin. This material makes it very durable and relatively light. Without a load, it weighs about 10 pounds. It doesn’t require any assembly, either.
As mentioned earlier, several users confirm that they have carried 25 pounds, 60, and 100 pounds items on this yard cart easily. Many of the users also found it very durable, easy to use, and multipurpose.
- It’s lightweight and easy to handle.
- The adjustable handles allow you to push it at a comfortable height.
- It’s also easy to offload.
- The high-quality resin is weather-resistant, and it doesn’t leach any harmful elements. It’s also easier to clean.
- The wheels may not be the best for uneven ground.
- Some users complained that it might occasionally tip over.
We recommend this cart for carrying light items within the yard and even within the house. It’s best used on concrete paths since it doesn’t do well on dirt and rocky terrains.
4. WORX WG050 Aerocart – B00KCIZ5SM
This is a multipurpose garden cart that easily converts to 8 different tools. It turns to an extended dolly, a dolly, a bag holder, a plant mover, and a trailer mover. You can use it on the farm, or even to carry stuff within your house.
It also features two wheels that give you enough balance and make it easy to maneuver. This yard cart weighs 50 pounds and has a 300 pounds capacity. The steel build also makes it very durable regardless of the rigorous activities you subject it to.
Most users agree that this cart works great, especially for simple yard tasks and house tasks. However, a lot of them complained about how small it is. It is not the best for heavy-duty jobs.
- It’s a versatile cart.
- The two airless wheels make it favorable even for physically limited people.
- It has a high weight capacity.
- It’s quite small and short, making it difficult for very tall people to use it.
- The tub is also easily scratched.
Since it is quite narrow, it is not the best for construction purposes or carrying of bulky goods. It’s best for heavy but compact goods. It’s also ideal for anyone looking for more than just a wheel and barrel since you can convert it to what you want.
5. Polar Trailer 8376 – B001RPD4UU
This model is similar to the Aerocart, but it’s lighter and has more carrying capacity. It has two 20-inch wheels, 400-weight capacity, and a ten cubic feet bowl. The wide handle makes it easy to control heavy loads while the elongated front acts as a tipping point when you want to offload.
Despite having a 400 pounds weight capacity, this yard cart weighs 49 pounds thanks to the high-quality polyethylene.
Most users agree that it’s a sturdy garden cart that’s easy to maneuver thanks to the wide handle and tall wheels. However, some users find it hard to offload due to the extended front.
- It’s lightweight and more manageable even with heavy loads.
- The 400 pounds weight capacity is one of the largest for a utility wagon.
- The assembly process is also very straightforward.
- The wheels aren’t the best for uneven grounds. They don’t absorb the shock causing fatigue, and they are easily damaged.
- It’s hard to offload since the elongated front design isn’t convenient.
This is an ideal outdoor utility cart. It has a huge capacity, a sturdy bowl, and it’s manageable. However, since the wheels aren’t the best for most farm terrains, it’s best for carrying bulky goods that aren’t very heavy. These include hay or dry leaves. But it can still carry other farm items but on even ground.
6. Gorilla Carts GOR1400-COM
This is one of the best flatbed garden carts. It measures 52 inches by 34 inches. And it can handle up to 1400 pounds. The sides are removable, allowing carrying larger goods. You can also choose to tow it with an ATV or pull it by hand.
It’s made of high-quality steel that doesn’t rust easily, and it’s resistant to corrosion. There’s some assembly required, but it’s nothing you can’t handle. It also features four 15-inch pneumatic wheels that are suited for all types of terrains. Another reason why we love this cart is that the manufacturer offers a one-year warranty.
This flatbed cart’s reviews confirm that it’s reliable, easy to assemble and maintain, and well-built for rigorous gardening activities.
- It’s versatile; you can use it as a flatbed, as an enclosed cart. You can also tow it or pull it.
- It has a large tub and a large carrying capacity.
- The steel build is very durable, even when the cart is left outside during rain and snow.
- It’s quite cumbersome and tiring, especially when you have to pull it uphill.
- The paint on this cart may come off quickly.
Based on the metal build and size, this is definitely a heavy-duty garden cart. Since the sides have holes, make sure you seal them when carrying fine items like sand to prevent spilling.
7. AMES 2463875 Easy Roller
A list of the best garden carts can’t be complete without mentioning products from AMES. One of the reasons we love this cart is that it features an integrated tray between the handles and the tub. You can place your gardening tools or any other items on this tray. Another reason it stands out is the two smaller back wheels, and the two larger front wheels.
The high-quality poly bowl measures 30 inches long, 21.5 inches wide and 45 inches deep. It can handle between 200 and 400 pounds. The poly construction makes it durable and lightweight when compared to metallic models. Another reason why it stands out is that it comes with a lid that you can place on the tub and sit on the cart as you work.
Most users agree that this is a convenient gardening tool. They used it to carry gardening tools, firewood, compost, and even sit on it when working. However, many of them also complained that it’s built for occasional use. If they used it daily for heavy-duty gardening tasks, it didn’t last very long.
- It has an extra tray where you can place smaller items.
- It also has a huge carrying capacity for a plastic garden wagon.
- It’s lighter and comfortable to steer with the front wheels.
- Since it’s made of plastic, it may not last that long when used daily.
This is clearly a light-duty lawn and garden cart. So that it lasts longer, replace the wheels immediately they get damaged and avoid transporting heavy items.
8. AMES Lawn Buddy Cart
This is another AMES yard cart. It’s smaller than the others, with just two cubic feet carrying capacity. It’s a favorite planter’s cart thanks to the lid that doubles up as a seat, the high-quality steel axle, and easy to use handle.
It holds at least 300 pounds, making it favorable for carrying your potter’s mix to place on the plants or to even harvest vegetables. It works great as a rolling wheel, making it easy for you to weed, and perform other gardening tasks without bending.
Most users loved it, for it converts as a seat. They also found it convenient for its light and strong enough to carry necessary gardening tools and items like compost and harvest.
- It’s very light, weighing just one pound.
- The steel axle and 7-inch wheels make it easy to handle when it’s carrying heavy items.
- The lid easily converts to a seat and a handle.
- Its plastic nature is not that durable. After some time it starts to wear out.
We understand that a yard cart doesn’t have to be that large, that’s why we included this AMES lawn buddy cart in the list. It’s multipurpose, and it has enough carrying capacity for an average gardener.
9. Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart
This is one of the best folding garden carts. Unlike the Mac Sports folding utility cart with a fabric tub, this one features rust and corrosive resistant aluminum build. It was designed to carry items to and out of the boat quickly, but it’s efficient in gardening.
You may be wondering how on earth an aluminum structure can be folded, but it’s straightforward. It has hinges at the handle and within the bowl. So you just remove the back and fold it. You can also easily remove the stands.
It also features two pneumatic wheels and a 350 pounds carrying capacity.
Several users attest that it works as advertised. It folds flat, making it easy to place on the truck bed with other items. It’s light, and carries a lot of heavy objects. However, some had an issue with folding it or unfolding it.
- The pneumatic wheels are well suited for all types of terrains.
- The 350 pounds carrying capacity is big enough for most gardening tasks.
- Since it’s foldable, it’s easy to store and transport to the farm.
- It is quite flimsy, making it unsuitable for heavy-duty tasks.
- It may be challenging to fold, and it may cause injuries to your fingers.
This is an average garden wagon since it holds a considerable amount of weight, its light, and it can be folded to save on storage space. When maintained correctly, the aluminum structure can last very long.
10. Agri-Fab 45-0101 Garden Dump Cart
This is a heavy-duty garden dump cart thanks to the 750 pounds weight capacity and high-quality steel bed. This is the largest capacity of all the carts we have reviewed today. Better yet, it comes with wheel bearings and grease zerks that make it easy to roll. These features make it one of the most durable garden carts.
The steel bed is powder-coated for aesthetics and long life. It also comes with two 16-inch pneumatic wheels that are designed to maneuver all types of terrain. The crowning of it all is the company’s 3-years warranty. This is one of the best offers for such products, giving you more reasons to trust this product. It also comes with a foot lever dumping mechanism to offload your items, and a universal hitch to connect to an ATV or lawn tractor.
According to most users, this dump cart works great. It’s excellent at carrying heavy items, and the steel build stands the test of time. However, a lot of them complained about the unclear instructions. The nuts aren’t labeled, and some instructions are omitted.
- The foot lever dumping makes it easy to offload weighty loads.
- The grease zerks are meant to lubricate the wheels, enabling them to last longer and move more efficiently.
- It has one of the largest carrying capacities for a dump garden cart.
- The 3-year warranty is also one of the best.
- The coating on the steel gets easily scratched.
- The bearings are sealed by plastic casings, which can easily break.
Overall, this is an excellent utility wagon. We love it because of the considerable weight capacity and the 3-year warranty. The zerks, bearings, steel build, and dumping mechanisms show that it’s meant for heavy-duty tasks. And for that, it doesn’t disappoint.
Types Of Garden Carts
There are four types of yard carts, foldable/ collapsible, flatbed, utility wagons, and dump carts.
- Utility wagons – Utility wagons often have more than one use. You can use them on the farm, for spotting activities, or even to carry items within the house. They also have some accessories such as a cup holder, or a lid that you can sit on. Some of them even have removable sides, which allow you to convert them to flatbed carts.
- Flatbed carts – This type lacks sides, and they are meant to carry bulky goods such as bags filled with compost. Some of them also come as a 2-in-1, where the sides are removable.
- Foldable carts/collapsible carts – These can easily be folded to make it easy to transport and store them. They often have a lower carrying capacity, and the sides aren’t removable. They usually feature a piece of fabric, and a metal frame. We have also reviewed one that’s made of aluminum.
- Dump carts – This type is similar to the utility wagon, but it usually has a dumping mechanism that makes it easier to offload the contents. Examples include the quick-release mechanism, or the foot lever dumping mechanism.
- Garden dolly – These are usually two-wheeled, with a try at the front where you pace your items. They rest at a standing position, making it easier to load very heavy bags that may be hard to lift.
What To Look For In A Garden Wagon
Below are some of the factors you need to consider before buying any of them.
- Carrying capacity – Well, this is an obvious one. The carrying capacity should match your gardening tasks. If you want to move heavy items, look for a carrying capacity of at least 1000 pounds. For lightweight jobs, a minimum of 300 pounds carrying capacity will do.
- The material of construction – Steel is the preferred material for these tools for its sturdy and doesn’t easily break. So if you’re looking for a heavy-duty cart, stick to steel. Plastic is also great for smaller carts since it’s lighter, easier to clean, and rust-resistant. Make sure you go for thick plastic that has been approved by relevant authorities.
- Tires – For simple carts that you will push on a mowed lawn or smooth concrete, you can get away with plastic tires. If you’re working on uneven farm terrains, pneumatic cart wheels are the best. They are filled with air, allowing them to absorb most of the shock, and they are easier to maneuver.
- Storage space – If you have enough storage space, you can purchase the larger models. Collapsible wagons come in handy for those with limited space. When folded, some can fit even under the bed.
- User’s strength – Based on the material a cart is made from, these carts vary in terms of weight. You need to check if you can handle the cart’s weight by pulling or pushing for a long time. You also need to check the height of the handles, if they match your height and are adjustable.
- Versatility – Some carts can act as flatbed carts and utility wagons. Others can act as dollies, trollies, wheelbarrows, garden seats, and many more. The more versatile a cart is, the better.